Friday, May 6, 2011

DIY Wedding Flowers....would you?

Well I have to say, its something I wouldnt have thought was even remotely possible. The world of flower arranging and in particular wedding floristry is a mystery to me - the closest I have ever come to arranging flowers is getting two bunches of the flower of the week from Aldi and mixing them together! But for a recent wedding, I was asked to do the bride and bridesmaids bouqet. First stop was the Dublin Corportation Flower Market, bright and early as it opens at 6am. I was a little daunted initially and spotted a friendly face at Dave Byrne Flowers (I had novice written all over my face). Armed with a theme from the bride (wild flowers) I strolled up and down the aisles of flowers, pointing at ones I liked to look of, while the very helpful lady advised on what would work and what might be a better alternative. The selection was very extensive and I found everything I wanted. They took the order and advised they would be ready for collection on the morning of the wedding. They also gave some good tips on how to put them together (stand in front of a mirror and see what it looks like from the front rather than looking down at the bouquet).
On the morning of the wedding, myself and the bridesmaid ran in to collect them, they were all boxed up nicely, and we headed back to the house to put them together. Once the two bouquets were done, we had enough left for two big displays for the reception room also.
Picture is of the final results!

So for any brides thinking of DIYing it for flowers, it can be done! Its very reasonable and if you could rope in a few mates the day before, you could even do the table arrangements and church flowers too. I reckon €200/€250 would give you amazing flowers for the entire wedding.



Dave Byrne Flowers are on 01 873 4025 or you will find them in the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment