Sunday, June 5, 2011

Retro moments in makeup and beauty products







Two major flashbacks this week while strolling through Boots - first up was a trawl through the Rimmel counter to see whats new (great brand, often overlooked but has some good products worth looking into, more to follow!). I was checking out the lipstick shades when my eye was firmly drawn to what looked very much to me like HEATHER SHIMMER! Now those of you in your thirties and above will remember Heather Shimmer very well - in the 90's it was a makeup mainstay, along with panstick, dark lipliner a la Pamela Anderson in the Baywatch days and blue eyeliner inside the eye and without Rimmel and the Body Shop we would have had no makeup at all (BT's being way out of our league and frankly a waste of good vodka money). Well, it isn't called Heather Shimmer this time round and its not exactly the same but it is a really nice nude/pink shade and its very long lasting without being drying so gets the thumbs up from me - Rimmel Lasting Finish in 077 Asia.

Ahh the classic 90's lipline!



The second came in the hair aisle - hands up who remembers Sun In? And who hasn't had a DISASTER with it? Sun In first came to my attention on my very first holiday to Torremolinos! I was armed with Sun In, a tanning oil I bought in a sunbed shop (it was before we became SPF aware!) and some lemons for good measure. If it killed me, my perm and I were coming home from that holiday blonde! And that I did - frizzy, yellow, brassy but definitely blonde! Shortly after, I discovered that highlights were a much safer option. And everyone I know has a similar Sun In story! So I was very surprised to see that John Frieda has brought it back! Well granted he has called it Go Blonder Controlled Lightening Spray Exclusively For Blondes (phew, what a mouthful) but it basically seems to work on the same premise. You spray it in all over or on small sections, and then whack on the heat and bobs your uncle. So yes, a bottle of it went into the basket, just for the purpose of the blog! I will let you know how it goes!

Before!

After!



I'm off to get a bottle of Fuzzy Peach perfume! I heart the 90's!

No comments:

Post a Comment